Friday, June 20, 2008

Not Approved

As I may have mentioned before, Brandon and I are living with his maternal grandparents, (who are divorced, but live together. Yes, they have separate bedrooms. No, neither one of them has dates or brings home a "friend." They argue occasionally, but Grandma takes care of Grandpa, who is in his late 70s and needs her help. It's odd, but works for them.) Living here is actually quite comfortable. Maybe too comfortable. HA! Grandma fixes dinner every night, esp. for Grandpa who needs to stay on a schedule for his medications. They have a wonderful furnished basement, which is where Brandon and I hang out the most, and convert into our "gym" when we work out. He has his office space down here, and there is a flat screen TV. Nice. I believe Grandpa, especially, has enjoyed the company. He does not go out or do much, and I think he has enjoyed having us here to distract him. I know we are here to show God's love to him, as he is not saved. (Please keep Gerry Rugs in your prayers for salvation! We believe it's coming!)

We have been looking for a house to buy. Grandpa has been on that like a duck on a June bug. He has searched paper after paper. Then he researches the distance from here in Warsaw or from our work; gas prices, you know. We tease him that he wants to kick us out, but he vehemently denies it. He just loves puzzles and finding things. Grandma says that if we really want him to drive us nuts, we need to tell him we are looking for a car to buy! ha!!

We looked at a couple houses in South Whitley, which is only about 16 miles from church/work. I really liked this one on Maple Street. It says it has 5 bedrooms and 2 baths, but it's more like 4 rooms downstairs and 4 bedrooms upstairs. It's really old, but has gorgeous potential - for filling it up with babies! and more cats! (Margo, some of the space reminded me of your house... what I've seen...) It has a wonderful privacy fence in the back yard, a porch on front and back. Lotsa good things, but... it would need some work. AND it would cost more gas to drive back and forth. The town of South Whitley is very small and very quaint and cozy.

Wednesday we went to a mortgage company to be pre-approved for a loan/mortgage. No go. We do not qualify because our debt to income ratio is too high. We knew this going in. Our debt is high because Brandon uses debt as leverage when he trades currencies, which is how he makes our income. Plus, he has not been trading full time for two years. They take the average of those two years, which would put his average income to like $15, 000 or less, thus making the debt to income ratio high. So, if we wait til January, after doing taxes, that $15,000 will be more like $35,000... which is way better. ANYWAY, if none of this makes any sense, don't worry about it. I let him keep it all straight; that's what he does. So, bottom line: we did not qualify for a loan/mortgage, yet. But, we do have a plan. I'm not sure how long we will stay with Grandma 'n Grandpa, but I have a feeling it may be all summer, which seems to be fine with all involved.

Tilly and Mareth-Dale have settled in. They are not too sure about Grandpa or Grandma. Both have rather booming voices, so the girls have remained a bit skittish. When Grandpa is in his favorite chair, they both walk waaaay around him, as if to avoid getting too close, incase he may do or say something. He is orignially from Chicago, so he has a tough-guy, gangster voice. I asked him once if he was ever in the Mob, but he denies any connections. I suppose he would even if he were connected. I think he knew or met Al Calpone, but then again, I have a wild and vived imagination.

The other day Grandma was vacuuming. It's a small "Swiffer"-type electric vacuum that is not nearly as noisey as my huge hummer vac. Mareth has never really run from the vacuum; she just merely stays out of it's way. I think the small Swiffer vac made her curious, and jumpy all at the same time. She was watching Grandma vacuum, then turned around and there, right in front of her was Grandpa's tennis shoe-clad foot. Her feline instincts kicked in and before we could all count to three, she smacked Grandpa's tennis shoe-clad foot in three swift strikes with her furry, grey paw: BAM! BAM! BAM! We all laughed really loudly, and Grandpa said to Mareth, in his booming Chicago voice (above the sound of the vacuum), "What did I do to you???" Then for the rest of the day he mused over how she smacked his foot... and how he did nothing to deserve that... Really funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P90X Update: We are still going strong! We are almost finished with week 5! I've lost 8lbs and almost two inches off my waiste and thighs. My arms and back are gaining definition! Other than being a bit sore now and then, I feel great! My plan is to keep doing this even if it takes longer than 90 days to get the results I want. Most people who start this program are already in really good shape. I was totally out of shape, so it will take me a bit longer. Brandon is looking great! He's lost two inches off his waiste, and he is gaining muscle. At the end of the sumer, we plan to go to a water park as a reward for our hard work. By then, I plan to be more comfortable with the idea of shopping for a new bathing suit!!

No comments: