Sunday, March 16, 2008

Faith, With Gravy.

The rest is gravy. Mashed potatoes 'n gravy. Riding the gravy train. Biscuits 'n gravy. Mmmm. Just the thought of gravy – my mama's beef gravy, especially over her homemade extra whipped, super light 'n fluffy, perfectly salted mashed potatoes – makes my mouth water.


 

Gravy has creped into the English language to not only mean that hot, tasty magma that makes my potatoes perfect, but also to mean extra, the added benefits of something, more than enough, benefits.


 

Often I forget and seemingly need to be reminded that God gives me gravy. Every day his gravy is available to me; I just for get to say, "Please pass the gravy!"


 

Psalm 103:2-5 reminds us Christians to REMEMBER gravy!, to remember the BENEFITS of knowing and loving God. God did not have to give us gravy! Trust me – his potatoes and biscuits are plenty good with out the added deliciousness of his gravy. BUT, he did. He gave us benefits. He gives us those benefits every day!! We just need to remember those benefits!


 

God's gravy:

  1. He pardons our sins! (v. 3 a.) Period. He forgives us no matter what! No matter WHAT! It's good to be reminded of that!
  2. He heals our bodies! (v. 3 b.) Daily we can ask for and receive God's healing gravy! (Yes, please!) We can be delivered from that migraine, or back ache or whatever ails us! He heals the big stuff like cancer and diabetes, but we must remember that he does not want us to suffer with the day to day aches and pains!
  3. He redeems our lives from THE PIT! (v. 4) Any size pit! Big pit, small pit, debt pit, sickness pit, despair pit, divorce pit, loss of a loved one pit, loss of job pit, term paper pit, car wreck pit, loss of a pet pit, etc. Any pit you can think of. God is the full on SWAT team who brings in the rescue helicopters, EMTs, search and rescue dogs, volunteer fired department. All of his resources are used to rescue you and redeem you from whatever pit you seem to be stuck in!
  4. He crowns us with loving kindness and compassion! (v 4 b.) When I read this, I see an image of Christ placing his warm, healing hands on my head and once his hands touch my head, my whole being is overcome with a warm sensation of his love and compassion.
  5. He satisfies my years with GOOD things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle. (v. 5) The older I get, the tighter I cling to this benefit. What "good things" satisfy me? A good cup of hot coffee in the morning. Seeing my husband smile and hearing him laugh out loud! Our furry, purring feline companions. A comfortable pair of shoes. A warm, soft place to sleep. Pants with elastic waist bands! Good music. Really good food. Heck, any food. Fellowship with good friends. All of these "good things" renew my youth like the eagle, which is a symbol of true freedom, power and strength. God gives me GRAVY: his beautiful benefits, which renews my freedom, power and strength as his child, and as a woman of God.

Psalm 103 reminds us to remember these things, to remember God's gravy. I say, "Yes, Lord! Please pass the gravy!"

No comments: