Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To SEE a Who..

Living here with Grandma and Grandpa keeps us laughing. The following is a true account with minimal embellishments:

One morning I sat on the porch enjoying my cup of Grandma's strong coffee, making a mental note about how I don't like coffee grounds in my coffee, and enjoying a cool summer breeze. The living room window was open, and I heard the following exchange:

G'ma (obviously had her purse over her shoulder): I'm taking the [grand] kids to the movie.

G'pa: Where are you going?

G'ma: I'm taking the little guys to see "Horton *SEES a Who!"

G'pa: WHAT?

G'ma: I'M TAKING THE LITTLE GUYS TO SEE "HORTON SEES A WHO"!!

G'pa: Going to the movie, huh? What are you going to see?

G'ma: HORTON SEES A WHO!!!!!

I could then hear her stomp off mumbling insults under her breath like Kreacher, the disgruntled house elf from Harry Potter.

G'pa: What'd I say?

They could give Abbott and Costello a run for their money.

By the end of this exchange, I was shaking so hard from stifling my giggle fit that I had to set my coffee mug down and cover my mouth with both hands. I heard Grandma coming outside. I collected myself as best I could. She came outside on the porch, purse over her shoulder, just as I predicted. I said with a straight face,

"Where are you going?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Yes, she said SEES, not HEARS. My 5 year old nephew said how could you SEE a Who. That's the point of the movie. Whos cannot be seen. And, if you were wondering why she is going to the movie in the morning... during the summer our local movie theater shows free second run movies once a week for kids.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is hilarious!!!! I read it the other day...reminds me of conversations I attempt to have with one of my grandmothers...they are hoots for sure!

Stacey Renee said...

Thanks, Ann! Yeah! I could not make this up if I tried! ha!!! =]