Monday, October 12, 2009

Toot Uncommon

I awoke with a start. The room was dark. I knew I had heard a sound, something that startled me, seemingly shook me awake. I listened. I heard the lulling, rhythmic sound of my sweet husband sleeping. Evidentially he had not heard it. I continued to listen. Nothing. I listened for a few moments longer, then rolled over on my side and slowly dozed off back to sleep. A lighter sleep this time.

There it was again! I heard it and suddenly knew exactly where it came from this time. I hesitated to even admit I knew where it came from. It came from ME. I had farted. In my relaxed, comfy state it jumped out, waking me. I listened; hubby stirred. "You OK?" he asked. "Yeah, fine." My face was pink, but he could not see it in the dark. Fortunately my midnight toot-fest did not wake him, at least not this time.

It happens randomly. It wakes me up, and I always wait and listen to see if it woke him up. If he's awake I say, "Sorry." Believe it or not, Hubster and I are pretty private about that sort of thing. So, you can imagine how embarrassed I get when it's in the middle of the night and unexpectedly rings the bell that cannot be unrung!

While I've laid there listening to see if Hubster heard me, I've often wondered and thought... When I was single, I don't remember waking myself up in the middle of the night with such sounds. Or maybe I did, and just never figured out what the sound was that woke me up. OR maybe it's just because NOW I have Hubster in the bed to witness my toot uncommon.

No comments: